Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Best Restaurant in Town: Your Own Kitchen

I know that eating out too much is not good for me, but still I am drawn to it like a moth to flame. The mystique and attraction of dining out sings its siren song, and, even though for many people it’s an almost daily activity, it still always has that air of special occasion. Through culture, or advertising, or whatever, we have this irrepressible desire to make every meal a treat.

I go in with the best of intentions to choose the healthiest foods the restaurant offers, but there is just something about looking at a menu that makes me lose my way. My eyes glaze over, my brain fogs, and all those enticing pictures (which look nothing like the actual dish) just lure me in and I hear myself ordering something rich and buttery and salty that I would never eat at home. Then I’m almost always disappointed with the quality of the food.

By contrast, meal planning at home usually starts with either “What would be healthy, yet delicious?” or “What can I cook with what’s on hand?”. And what’s on hand is much likelier to be healthy. I end up with a delicious meal that I’m very happy with, and it’s lower in fat and sodium, has less processed foods, and is less expensive. Five star review!

I do like to eat out occasionally and don’t plan on giving it up anytime soon. I wish that more restaurants would offer delicious and healthy food. But meanwhile, as often as possible, we probably all should patronize the best restaurant in town, where the ingredients are truly fresh, the cooks care very much about our food quality, and the atmosphere is casual—our own kitchen.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment